I use Mozilla Thunderbird to access my Gmail account (via IMAP). The problem i had was that when i deleted a message in Thunderbird, the message did not move to the trash folder. Instead, it was only visible in the All Mail folder.
When i delete a message in Thunderbird, it should be moved to the [Gmail]/Trash folder. To get this accomplished, the following should be done in Thunderbird;
- The Gmail account is defined as a mail.server.serverx definition in the Config Editor
- Type "mail.server.server" under Filter: in Config Editor.
- Go through the list until you spot your Gmail account’s name (say, "Gmail" or your Gmail address) under Value for a preference named mail.server.server*.name (where ‘*’ is replaced with a number).
- Note the server’s number.
- If you find your Gmail account’s name under "mail.server.server2.name", for example, note "2".
- Click on the mail.server.server* line with the right mouse button.
- Select New | String from the menu.
- Type "mail.server.server*.trash_folder_name", replacing the ‘*’ with the noted number.
- In my case it was 2, so i typed "mail.server.server2.trash_folder_name".
- Click OK.
- Type "[Gmail]/Trash" under Enter string value.
- Click OK.
- Close the configuration dialog.
- Restart Mozilla Thunderbird.